Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thing #15 Thoughts on Library 2.0

"Librarian 2.0 will help users become their own programming director for all of the content available to them."
Michael Stephens


"What are libraries? Libraries are not just collections of documents and books, they are conversations, they are convocations of people, ideas, and artifacts in dynamic exchange."
"Librarians today are not just inventory management biobots: they are people with a unique understanding of the documents they compile and catalog, and the relationships among those documents."
Dr. Wendy Shultz

These are a few quotes that struck me as very interesting as I read the articles on Library 2.0. I have mixed feelings about it all. The first feeling I have is that I am sorry I waited so long to jump into learning about this level of service and technology. I feel behind the times in some ways. I also feel very empowered by starting down the road to understanding how Web 2.0 is working in the world of information and how to harness it to benefit my customers.
I agree with the thought that there is no longer a need for a "just in case" collection in libraries. Especially in satellite libraries within a system. I have always respected the fact that patrons want information quickly and also at no cost to them. Thanks to the web, this is getting more reliable and user-friendly by the day....BUT there is also so much to wade through, that some patrons are getting overwhelmed or are not able to discern between really good sources and marginal or questionable ones. I feel like our job is to continually be proactive in sharing with them that there are different methods for using the web and help them to be more efficient and productive in their web use.
Much of the jargon of the articles left me bored, but the youtube presentation left me feeling absolutely stunned. Wow.

No comments: